Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The brand new battery storage necklace!!!

Since Julia got her first pair at age 3, I've been carryingsize 13 batteries in my purse. This worked well until she started going out in the world without me! I've put batteries in envelopes to transmit to the responsible adult at parties and Girl Scout meetings, but it's a chore for my daughter to hunt them down and a feat for us to remember to take the pack of batteries home with us when the activity is over. I always mourn the loss of a fresh pack of batteries, those things are pricey!

Now a very grown up eight-year-old, Julia wants to be a bit more discrete about her hearing loss. At the very least, she doesn't want Mom having to give a ten-minute dissertation on batteries, how you'll know they need changed, and the history of hearing loss at each drop off. It would be really great if she could just carry her own batteries! Sometimes, on rare occasions when she has pockets, she carries them herself. (Then we find them in the dryer.) But most of the time we have to look for somewhere to stash them.

Finally, after several years of pondering and a summer sourcing components, I solved the problem! I created a battery necklace for Julia. A small plastic box holds two size 13 batteries on a ball chain necklace that is long enough to hang under her shirt or outside as a fashionable pendant necklace! This gives Julia complete ownership of her hearing aid maintenance because she can change batteries as needed without consulting any grown up. This is a big help now that my third grader SWITCHES classes. I was racking my brain to figure out how to manage keeping batteries in two classrooms. With the necklace, that's another problem solved. It's working so well for us that I'm almost ready to take that spare four-pack of batteries out of my purse!

You can purchase one of these fine necklaces at my Etsy store, http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMagicEarShop where I'll be adding new styles frequently. Please comment or email me if you can think of a design that would entice your child to wear one of these. One little hearing aid wearer I talked to was pretty jazzed about the idea. I think he would wear a plain white one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!