Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Endeavor

The winter issue of the American Society for Deaf Children's publication, The Endeavor, is now available. You might recognize the article on page 19. It originally appeared here in December of 2009.

When I started writing about Julia's hearing loss with a post about medical assistance in the summer of 2009, I thought our family had reached some kind of plateau. I finally felt that I was in a position to give advice or at least commiserate with other parents of deaf/hard of hearing children. With all of our back story told, I really thought I would run out of hearing aid stories.

No such luck.

The last visit to the audiologist showed that Julia's hearing progressed to an 80 dB loss. That was what struck me when I re-read the (Mis)Understanding Hearing Loss article. In December of 2009, it was 55 dB and I still mourned all of the things she couldn't hear.

Now I understand better, but still disagree with, those moms years ago that implied my child wasn't deaf enough to cause me any worry. 55dB does sound less impressive than 80dB. Still, there are great challenges for children with mild losses and unilateral losses. Parents of hard of hearing children shouldn't be in a deafness competition. I feel acutely aware of that as the decibels change but the day to day issues remain the same.

Looking back on all that I've written, I can see in black and white that dealing with hearing loss is a lifelong endeavor. It's not a major thing every day, but it's always on my mind. It will always be our thing. There's no danger of running out of thoughts that will make their way onto the blog.

Perhaps some of those thoughts will even make their way into The Endeavor. I do think my writing looks better in print.

More news from the ASDC
Professor Karen Munoz in the Department of Communicative Disorders at Utah State University is conducting a research study to find out more about parents experiences in getting hearing aids and when their infant or young child is diagnosed as deaf or hard of hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!