Sunday, March 13, 2011

What?

Julia has developed a "what" reflex. Whether or not she hears, even if she understands, she asks "what?"

"Julia, please clear the table. Dinner is almost ready."
"What?"

Silence.

"You want me to clean up for dinner?"
"Yes," I reply, attempting to conceal a deep sigh. Each "what" drains a little more of my life force away.

I've asked her to clarify whether she's heard me. I told her I need something more than "what." I'd love to know if there's something going on that needs to be reported to the audiologist.

"Can you repeat that?" "Excuse me, I didn't hear you." Or just answering a question/following directions. All of these would be wonderful options. My latest attempt at ridding our house of useless reflex responses is to say nothing when she makes that infernal query.

Still, every day it's "what, what, WHAT?"

At least she doesn't say, "huh?"


***A while back I started a Parent Forum here at BTaC. If you have experience with hearing loss (parenting, personal or professional experience), please hop over and exchange some ideas. I'd love to know how other people figure out if their child is not hearing or not paying attention or just demonstrating a bad habit.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!