Sunday, May 2, 2010

Motivating hearing aid independence

I decided Julia should learn to put her hearing aids in on her own.  We'd tried it just prior to getting new ear molds.  She was doing okay until the new sparkly ones were too snug and sticky for her to get in on her own.

Months later, she's turned 5.  Her ears have grown just enough to allow easy ear mold insertion.

I tied her hair up and gave her a speech about the red dot showing which one is for her right ear.  I handed her the hearing aid and put her in front of a mirror.  I explained which part of the mold lines up with which part of her ear.  I demonstrated.  I coached.

"I can't do it," she said.

She'd barely tried, essentially smashing her hearing aid at her ear in a haphazard fashion.

"You're not trying," I said calmly.

We were about 20 minutes into a task that I could do for her in 20 seconds.

"If you can't learn to do this on your own," I told her, "you're not going to be allowed to go on a slumber party with your cousin."

"I can do it!" she shouted.

Those hearing aids were in and turned on in a couple of minutes.  Each following attempt was successful and met with an excited girl screeching, "Mommy, I got to the point!  I can go on a slumber party!"

The slumber party is scheduled for May 21st.  She can do anything.  All it takes is proper motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!