Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mommy, I'm different....

Julia has been telling me that her hearing aids make her different. 

"Mommy, I'm different than the girls in dance class.  I have magic ears."

I went through a whole self-esteem building exercise with her on that point.  She's got a lot of things that are different about her.  She has things that are the same.  We listed lots of traits and whether they were the same or different from her dance class friends. 

I thought I'd done a pretty great job parenting on the point.

A couple of days later:  "Mommy, I'm different than the neighbor girls.  They don't have magic ears."  I let it go.

She keeps bringing up people who don't wear hearing aids and pointing out that she's "different".  I don't even know that she feels anything about it.  It is just a fact.

It's a fact and I don't have much to say.  I wonder if I should tell her how kids made fun of my glasses or my scoliosis brace.  But she's not being teased, so I figure I'll save those for another time. 

I could read that weird book by Mr. Rogers to her again.  Everyone lives on a purple planet and they're all called Paul or Pauline.  It's supposed to make you think how awful it would be if everyone were exactly the same.  I posed the question to my daughter and she thinks "that would be cool".  So much for diversity.

I don't know what to tell her.  It's a tough moment in our day when she starts with "mommy, I'm different."  It takes all I have to keep from saying, "Of course you are baby, you're way smarter than everyone else!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!