Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Daily Life with Hearing Aids

When Julia first got her hearing aids in April of 2008, I had no idea what to expect. I'd never touched or cleaned a hearing aid. I didn't know how to put them in for her. I worried about them constantly.

Now it's just part of our daily routine.

Julia wakes every morning and makes a sleepy trek into mommy and daddy's bed. She lays down and I get her hearing aids ready. Most mornings I still check the batteries. The audiologist informed me that my baby is now quite old enough to tell me when she needs new batteries, but I'm pretty slow to adopt grown-up stuff like battery independence with my only little darling. I have a stethoscope that I attach to each one and say the LING sounds (ah, ee, oo, s, sh, mmm). On school days I attach her FM boots and check the LING sounds with the whole assembly.

I put the hearing aids in for her. I was having her do it on her own with her old ear molds. It wasn't pretty to watch, but she got the job done. The new pink sparkly ear molds are so form fitting that I have to help her again for a while. As with the battery testing, I'm coddling a bit.

The day goes on normally except that she can't get her "magic ears" wet. People look at me strangely when I've got her in full rain gear for a sprinkle. It's also of paramount importance to get them out before a bath or a shower. We took them out to ride Splash Mountain at Disney World. I'm pretty cautious with the things, they'd be gone for a couple of weeks if they had to go for repairs.

She tells me when they give a low battery beep. I have batteries in my purse for when we're out. I left batteries at preschool. There are size 13 batteries everywhere.

At night after stories and prayers and hugs the hearing aids come out. I check the batteries (can't give it up) and put the hearing aids in safely in the drying jar. They get all nice and ready for their next big day of being Julia's ears.

The goal is for her to take over doing all of this on her own. Except for the LING sounds test. I imagine she'll soon even be able to report if they're not working quite right. Writing this all out shows me I should make her hearing aid independence more of a priority. She is growing up!

6 comments:

  1. Ah momma sometimes it is hard to let ourkids grow up when we are not ready for that kind of independence. Seems like before we know it they are out the door and only calling on weekends...it will come in time but I wouldnt feel too overprotective, your amom and it is understandable..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you it while she wants you too. Soon she will balk every time you ask her if she's checked the batteries and give you the eye roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have already received this award but guess what? You got it again, from me ;) Check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the fact you put so much attention into caring for them is teaching her how important it is. She'll take over soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is totally normal to want to help her and make sure things are just right. She's your baby and there is nothing wrong with coddling her a little bit. Like Lee said, that will change soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have batteries all over too. Matthew (5yrs) now tells when the batteries are flat, which is great and so cute. Our problem now is that he doesn't want to sit still to have new ear moulds made! No amount of promises or threats can convince him. Any suggestions???
    Beverley SA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!