Monday, July 13, 2009

Special "hearing" moments

My daughter has a moderate hearing loss in both ears. She got hearing aids on April 23, 2008. I began a distance learning program from the John Tracy Clinic in California around the same time. Recently, I finished the lessons and was asked in my last report to describe my special memories of the past year.

These were the two that came to mind:

The very first walk my husband and I took with Julia after she was aided was to our same old park. As soon as we got out of the house, she ran to edge of a steep hill where a road with a lot of traffic passed below. She wanted to see what all the noise was from and I had my first experience saying, "Those are cars! You hear the cars!" I was choked up for most of that walk to the park as she stopped to listen as a man dragged his garbage can over the black top driveway and every other noisy thing that I had never taken the time to notice before.

The second "special moment" happened at a zoo class I took Julia to at the Pittsburgh Zoo. I took her to the one titled "Zoo Tot Zoo Tot What do you hear?" for obvious reasons. The instructor had a guinea pig that made interesting sounds when she rubbed its belly. Julia kept asking to hear more! It was such a subtle sound, and I feel so blessed that she can hear it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Magic Ear Kids. I appreciate your feedback!